Saturday 10 January 2009

Romania Week 4

Hello everybody, here is your weekly report from the land of the vampire..... (Still no sightings yet)!

Well today has been very hot, and I have managed to retrieve my holiday tan without burning like fire... which is a pretty good achievement for me, the added bonus is the ensuing thunderstorms that almost always follow the hot weather.... the house shakes with the thunder, the lightening can be seen stretching down to the floor, and lights the entire sky... it really is like a scene in a horror film. This weather is also accompanied by howling dogs and huge flocks of crows circling the sky, very eerie, but great to watch!

Lots to say this week, so I'll get on with it... sat in front of me on another computer is Karen (the new volunteer) who arrived late Friday night, she'll be with us for the duration, and we've already been out drinking last night! She's a good laugh and today we went on a walk to the surrounding hills, where we managed to go down a private road, walk past the 'tip' and then get chased by three dogs because we were trespassing on their land....at one point I was glad to have had the Rabies shots!!! But don't worry we managed to escape unharmed! ha ha

Also last night we met our interpreter (Lia) for some drinks and food (the most delicious pork I have ever had for just 7 lei = 1.70) and after the two girls went to bed, I sneaked off to the other disco, after getting an invite from a neighbour called Monica who I have been begging to let us know when they go to the disco. I got there about 00.00 and stayed until almost 5am...... remember I said the first disco was a cross between grease the musical and a barn dance, with no dress code.... well this was completely different... a beer was less than 50p, but I swear the age range varied from 14-maybe 24, I met some very nice friendly people, guys and girls, but also met some quite deranged young Romanians, who would shout "English" in my ear at random intervals, whilst dancing to 'manele' which is almost Turkish belly dancing music. It was interesting to say the least... I felt very very old, and was convinced I was going to be arrested for dancing with such young girls... it was very very busy and is more cheesy than the other place, so I'll probably go back. I met some guys there who said they would call me today and take me to play football with them, but thankfully that didn't happen because I was in no state for it today!
At the 'Spital' (Hospital) the club has been tough this week, partly because we have increased the number of patients coming because there was a demand for it, and also because there have only been two of us this week to run the club.... going on the wards remains difficult when you see patients tied to the benches with bed sheets, of other patients with hefty black eyes after fights (including old grannies), but despite this sounding bad, you have to remember that there is one staff member for 80+ patients, some with dementia, some with psychosis, some not ill at all. Basically you can't leave the psychiatric ward if family don't take you... so if you don't have family to 'look after you' that’s pretty much it...I have noticed some differences though, there is almost no self-harm behaviour, only a rare suicide attempt, and depression doesn't seem very common, many of the patients actually work around the hospital or help clean the ward, which is great as it gives them something productive to do.Many patients in club ask us for clothes, sweets etc and it’s really hard to say no, especially as some past volunteers did give things out, but not to everybody, and so we have incorporated a rule of, one for everybody, or none at all... it seems to be the fairest way! I'm sure I'll remember other things that I wanted to say but I think that’s enough for now.a quick message for Leah... sorry we beat you 6-0....and to the united fans.... maybe next year eh? Ha ha. I have to gloat whilst I can....thanks for reading, until next week
Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment