Saturday 10 January 2009

Romania Week 2

Hello everybody, well here I am over two weeks into Romanian life and I have to admit I like it...in future emails I will probably talk more about the hospital, but right now I want to paint a picture for you about how I am living here... so here goes... I can be sat out in the back yard, I can hear next door's two pigs waiting for feeding time, other neighbours all have hens wandering around, and just the other day one of the neighbours had just killed a rooster to eat for tea that night.... only the main roads are properly laid, and so most have large pot holes. Many people have the same type of car, a sign of the old communist regime here, which only ended in '99.The food is bland often coming with sauces or mustard to add flavour... however is it nice food here... lots of pork, eggs and breads... things are very cheap here with beers less than a pound, and they are larger than a pint... shots come in small size of 50ml... yeah that’s a large for us... and life is very relaxed as you can't find a reason to rush around... many things close at 2 on a Saturday and are closed on Sundays...the homeless people here are called gypsy and are despised by locals, they search through bins and we have found one man in our garden trying to take the vegetables, it’s hard to see the locals appear so mean, but it has root causes as a result of the change of regimes here. Many people have lost their homes and jobs since the so called 'liberation' as they had everything provided to them by the former communist regime, it’s easy to see why so many people are in the hospital really, because the way of life they knew, changed overnight.

There is a very nice new built outdoor swimming pool, which we went to yesterday, but I won’t be going back any time soon after embarrassing myself by walking into a glass window which I thought was an open door, in front of quite a few of the locals.... my head left a mark on the glass... it was a definite you've been framed moment... we also saw the only disco in the town itself last night, which was filled with (well about 50 people) mid-late 20 yr olds... and the words dress code clearly has no meaning here, I couldn’t decide if it was like the end dancing scene form the movie 'grease' or something a bit more like the first barn dancing lesson you have a to school...I'll stop there because I really could go on much longer....
hope all is well in the UK....
Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment