Saturday 10 January 2009

Romania Week 15 - An English Invasion

Hello everybody,
well as the title suggests I feel like the number of English people around me has more than tripled, giving me a shock return to English culture and ideas... to explain...

Tuesday, two visitors from the charity's committee arrived to meet with the hospital director to discuss the future of the charity & hospital... Thursday, my sister and her boyfriend, and three of Karen's work colleagues arrived, to visit... so we have been busy to say the least....
The highlight of this particular week had to be Friday night, when 19 of us went out for dinner... us 3 volunteers...my guests, Karen's guests, our interpreter, her boyfriend, and his sister, four of our neighbours (Hungarian) and our two Dutch helpers with their husbands as well... it was a multicultural evening to say the least, and problematic for the restaurant as we only expected about 10 people really.... languages spoken included: English, Dutch, German, Hungarian & Romanian! Several of us ended up in the only real nightclub (Infinity) afterwards, which made for more interesting dancing experiences. I'll say no more to protect the people involved!!!

My week has been an interesting one mainly because i have been to another city (Cluj) the second largest city in Romania as I'm told... I went here to meet my sister and Gavin (her boyfriend)... it felt very strange being in a big city again, where the traffic was constantly busy, and there was not a single horse and cart in sight! I also missed hearing the chickens and pigs that I have become so used to! On the plus side, we did manage to find plenty of cool bars to drink in, even if we paid city prices.... (am I turning into a country boy??? agh! no offence Kev!)Cluj is an interesting place in terms of history, but as it requires yet another mammoth 3 hour bus journey there, I felt I was in more need of a rest, but did manage to wander around... the 3 hour return journey had my sister standing for two hour of it, but I did warn her to sit down quickly, advice she unwisely chose to ignore!!! No wonder they slept in until after midday the next day. Then again the double sized 'small' gins probably contributed to this too... (Mum & dad don’t worry!!!)We are currently here in Turges Mures having a relaxed day, after being in 3 different places in 3 days, and I have my presentation tomorrow, which again requires me sitting in a maxi-taxi for three hours starting at 0515.... Let’s hope I have more than a beer crate to sit on this time!I won't write much more this time because to be honest, the week has been like a mini holiday for me, so I have been trying to avoid the usual bizarreness of this place, and remember what my life used to be like!
Of course on one final note... thanks to Israel for beating Russia last night (football), and let’s hope England get at least the draw they need on Wednesday against Croatia... I feel a football party evening coming on ...
Regards from Transylvania!
Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment